The vagina is a self-cleaning organ that does not require special cleaning products. It does not even need any cleaning products at all.
However, you may want to clean the vulva, which is the outer portion of the genitals that surrounds the entrance to the vagina. Doing this can help many you feel cleaner and, as a result, more confident.
In this case, you should clean the vulva lips gently. Excessive cleaning can have negative effects.
The vagina is an internal organ, and like other internal organs, it does not require cleaning.
A complex colony of good bacteria and other microbes helps keep the vagina healthy. Washing, especially with harsh soaps or douches, can throw the vaginal pH out of balance, increasing the risk of infections and unpleasant odors.
Washing the vagina will also not remove vaginal infections. In some cases, it may even make them worse. Using harsh soaps may dry out the delicate vaginal tissue, causing tiny tears that make it easier for dangerous bacteria to infect the vagina.
The vagina is a self-cleaning organ, and people do not need to clean it.
People can help keep the area clean and healthy by:
- Keeping the vaginal area as dry as possible, which may involve changing underwear if it becomes wet with sweat, menstrual blood, or other fluids
- Urinating after having sex, to avoid developing a UTI
- Wiping from front to back after urinating
- Refraining from having vaginal sex straight after having anal sex, as this can spread bacteria from the anus to the vagina
To clean the vulva, people can wash the external area with warm water. If they wish to, they can use a mild, unscented soap. Afterward, they should rinse the vulva thoroughly and then pat the area dry.
It is important not to put soap into the vagina, and it is not necessary to use soaps that manufacturers have specifically labeled as being for the genitals.
Cleaning strategies to avoid
To avoid infections, pain, and irritation, it is important not to use the following products:
- Douches, even those that the manufacturers claim are safe or natural
- Feminine deodorant sprays
- Detergent soaps
- Soaps containing perfume
An interactive online community dedicated to women. Follow @thewcommunity on social media for your favourite lifestyle updates.